Organic White Quinoa- Bolivia- 500g
Quinoa is a highly valuable nutrient-rich food that is gluten-free and a rich source of protein. It has a mild and nutty flavour and has been compared to cous cous in terms of taste and its light and fluffy texture when cooked. It is rich in essential amino acids, vitamin B2, E and A, & contains more iron than any other grain. Quinoa (Chenopodium quinoa) was cultivated and eaten by pre-Incan cultures 6000 years ago. The Incas considered it magical because of its high nutritional value calling it ‘Chisiya mama’ – mother grain. Quinoa is one of the only known grains that provide all the essential amino acids needed by the human body. Apart from the colour, white, black and red quinoa varieties share the same nutritional profile but has slightly different uses due to texture.
The outer hull of quinoa seeds is covered with Saponin, a naturally occurring organic compound which protects quinoa from insects and birds. Saponin is a bitter, resin-like substance that forms a soapy solution in water. It must be removed before cooking and eating or the quinoa can have a strong, bitter flavour that some people find unpleasant.
1. Place quinoa in a fine colander or strainer.
2. Run cold water over it until all soap scum has been washed away.
3. Rub the seeds while washing with water
4. Test the flavour on a small number of seeds; if they still have an acidic, bitter taste, run more cold water over them.
5. Wash and stir 3 or 4 times in water, or wash till water is clear.
- Energy (kj): 1539
- Protein (g): 14
- Fat Total (g): 6
- Fat Saturated (g): 0.7
- Carbohydrate (g): 64
- Sugars (g): 0
- Sodium (mg): 5